Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

Happy New Year!

I know, it has been ages and ages since I last posted (27 August 2007, to be exact). This is just a quick post to let everyone know that I haven't died and to update you guys on what I've been up to. (And why I haven't posted in so long)

In the crafting arena, there is not much to discuss. I haven't had time to craft nor am I allowed to--my developing RSI symptoms (Repetitive Stress Injury) caused the university doctor to recommend that I stop knitting until it got better. Who knows when that will be...

My main stresses have come naturally from work--I have a dissertation to finish up (anyone in the final stages will totally understand where I am coming from) and a consequence is that I had to start applying for jobs so that I won't be unemployed when I finish.

Now, when you are an immigrant in a country and you say that you are on the job market, one of the first questions you get asked is "Well, do you want to go back or do you want to stay?" I can't tell you how annoying that question is, especially after the umpteenth time. In my case, I want to keep my options open--I just want a decent job and am willing to move wherever necessary for it. It just so happens that the job openings at the moment are primarily in North America, where you usually have to apply a year in advance. In Europe, the jobs generally aren't advertised until a few months before you would start. It's just very frustrating when people assume you want to go back just because you apply for jobs in your "home country". And then have the nerve to ask why you don't want to stay! Find me a job and I will! That's what I always want to shout... It just seems that some people just don't quite get how the job market works and how there usually has to be an opening before you can actually get a job. Anyway, just venting. The stress is getting to me, can't you tell? (After re-reading this, I guess I shouldn't really complain, but I'm going to keep it in.)

A quick update on my job hunt, though (I am not naming any of the institutions and would appreciate it if those of you are privileged enough to know the details of my job hunt not name any of them in a public post on this site):

I have applied to 19 jobs so far.
I have received 3 rejections.
I have had 6 interviews, 2 by telephone and 4 at conferences.
I have received 1 invitation for an interview, but haven't heard from the head of the search committee since, so I guess the invitation has been retracted.
I still have at least 2 more jobs to apply to (there may be some late openings).
I am still waiting to hear from 9 of the jobs, though a few of them interviewed at the conferences mentioned above (interviews for which I was not invited), which leads me to suspect that I am no longer in the running for those positions. But until I get a definite rejection, there's still hope, right? :-)

Isn't the job market such a lovely place? Are any of you completing a major project and/or on the job market? I'd love to hear your experiences...

Until all of the excitement of everything calms down (hopefully before the end of the year!), I won't be posting much and I won't be knitting... :-( But I may just post an occasional update... Just keep checking! (or email me to "encourage" me to post)

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

4 Comments:

Blogger Marion said...

Happy new yaer to you too! Glad to see an update, read your message at SnB-group as well.
Hope to see you soon on a Monday evening, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on the job-hunting-thingy :D
I've got a new job btw, I'm working at the new public library near CS :))))))

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

hooray, a post! I hope you are feeling better (and less stressed!) soon. good luck with the job search. nothing sucks more than job searching, honestly.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:59:00 PM  
Blogger H. Cardoso said...

DO post! Go go, Robert, you can do it!

Monday, February 04, 2008 2:39:00 PM  
Blogger Irich photography said...

Good post

Thursday, April 18, 2024 9:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home