Friday, June 29, 2007

Türkiye, part II

Before Turkey, some quick news... I got my ravelry invite! Coolness! If you are already on ravelry, add me as a friend (my name is "gearncniht") and send a message. If you haven't already signed up, you should now! It's a great place to keep track of your stash, projects, supplies, make friends, etc. It's like friendster for crafters, plus much more!

Now, back to my trip. A few more photos... We stayed in Istanbul for a few days, so here are more pics of it. On day two, I did some yarn shopping with a Turkish crafter I met over the internet, Nihal, at her blog. It was a very exciting and interesting day, and I'll have a separate entry on all my craftiness in Turkey, so be patient! ^^ After yarn shopping, Fulya and I went to the Istanbul Museum of Modern Art and then met Burcu in Beyoğlu for dinner and just walking around... The following day, Fulya and I took a cruise of the Bosphorous (not quite to the Black Sea), where I'm sure you can sympathize with me when I say I should have taken Dramamine! But it was pleasant, and we got off at Sarıyer, where Fulya's family used to go each summer when she was younger. We had some of their famous Sarıyer böreği for lunch and then slowly made our way back to the ferries by bus with a stop in Örtaköy, a kind of hip trendy little area on the Bosphorous with a lot of craft shops, food vendors and tea gardens where you can enjoy a game of tavla (Backgammon) or nargileh (hookah). Very cool!

Kadıköy'de çay bahçesi
Sunset at a tea garden in Kadıköy


Views from the commuter boat
Mavi Camii (Blue Mosque)


Topkapı Palace


View outside of the Istanbul Museum of Modern Art


Boğaz Turu: Bosphorous Cruise
Tea break! A cool thing on the boats, even the commuter boats, is that there are men walking around with trays of juice and tea for sale. A pleasant way to have a refreshing beverage on your to wherever!

Views from the boat

Guess who! ^^

Fulya in front of her childhood vacation home in Sarıyer.


Men fishing at Örtaköy

2 Comments:

Blogger Fuliyama said...

Çok Toto! When I remember our trip I realise that we did quite a full trip with lots of fun and discovery indeed! I am looking foward our next meeting, and I know that wherever it is, it will be great one with such a good friend like you Robert!

Monday, July 02, 2007 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger nihal said...

i am glad you had fun over here!

i am also waiting for an invitation from ravelry. it looks real cool from the homepage.

Monday, July 02, 2007 4:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home