Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th of July!

Okay, so I'm actually posting this on the 5th... But the postdate magically says 4th... Know how? ^^

An informational tidbit for non-United Statians: The normal way we, the people, refer to this holiday is the "Fourth of July". This is so ingrained in us that there is a joke: Does (name of any random country) have a "Fourth of July"? Most United Statians immediately answer, "No!", knowing that our holiday, commonly known as the Fourth of July, is only celebrated in the US. The answer is, of course, that every country has a 4th of July (assuming they follow the Gregorian calendar).

When I first moved to Amsterdam and people asked/talked to me about "Independence Day", I didn't know what they were talking about at first. It only took me a few seconds to realize that they were talking about the Fourth, but this shows you how strongly we associate the date with the holiday. Of course, it is officially "Independence Day". And this is the better way to refer to it, I suppose, outside of the US, since everywhere else, the Fourth of July is just a date... ^^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home