Friday, April 13, 2007

Sock Frustrations....

I finally finish my wavy-inspired sock with some nice hand-dyed yarn. I start to bind off. I come across a knot. What do I do? I try to take the knot out and to spit splice the two halves. I end up with a big bulky felted bit of yarn much wider than the rest. Frustrated and really wanting to finish this sock off, I continue to bind off. I can't bear the bulky blob. I decide it won't look so bad knitted in. So, I pull back the bind-off row and knit three more rows. The mass of felted wool is still noticeable, but I am so ready for this sock to end. I bind off with a larger sized needle (I used 2.5mm to knit and 4.0mm to bind off). I try on my sock, and the bind off is too tight... I rip it back and try again, this time very very loosely with the 2.5mm needle. Again, I try it on, and again it is too tight. Once again, I rip it back and try to bind off more loosely. Finally, it is loose enough to try on. Then I realize that the problem is that the sock itself is a little too tight...

So, what to do? I can knit another like it and give it to someone else. I can rip out the whole sock and knit it back up again. I can rip back the cuff and heel and reknit just those parts. In any case, I'm setting it aside for a bit... I tired of working on it! ^^

3 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve said...

oh no! tragic!

Friday, April 13, 2007 6:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O dear... you know, I somehow knit(ted) my socks always one size too small and just found out. So, now I have 3 socks waiting for their second one. They will all be presents and I start/finish the second one when needed. Is this a solution?

Saturday, April 14, 2007 1:28:00 AM  
Blogger gearncniht said...

yes, yvonne, that is a solution... i think in the end, i'll just rip it out and re-knit it... but for now, it'll just stay as it is... *sigh*

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home