Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Weekly fruits and veggies

de appel(s or -en) 'the apple(s)'
de peer (peren) 'the pear(s)'
de sinaasappel(s or -en) 'the orange(s)'
de mango('s) 'the mango(es)'

de prei(en) 'the leek(s)'
de wortel(s or -en) 'the carrot(s)'
de courgette(s) 'the zucchini(s)'
de taugé 'the bean sprouts'
de winterporstelein 'the (winter)purslane' (something I've never heard of. Apparently, it is considered a weed in the US but is fairly commonly eaten in Europe and Asia.)

First meal with veggies? 떡볶이 (tteokbokki)--rice cake with assorted vegetables (in this case, carrots, zucchini, and onions) fried with red pepper paste and a bit of water to make a really thick orange sauce. Yum!

4 Comments:

Blogger sunneshine said...

your food posts sound so good - they make me hungry!! and the linguistics are fun!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:46:00 PM  
Blogger H. Cardoso said...

hat about "de chickoo"? how could you forget "de chickoo"?!? or is it "het"? :)

I'm writing this at the airport ready to go back to Holland... on my own laptop! The modern world is full of wonders.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, i think it's actually 'postelein', not 'porstelein'! And even though it's so rare I hardly know what it looks like (and the fact that there's a winter variety is even more of a surprise to me), I guess I'm probably right çause I'm a native speaker...
And Hugo, do you mean 'chicorei' (or 'cichorei' an even more elusive oldfashioned vegetable-thing)?

Friday, March 16, 2007 12:42:00 AM  
Blogger gearncniht said...

hi nynke,

you're right--it is winterpostelein. i misspelled it... i seem to have a stronger tendency to misspell when i'm writing in my blog than anywhere else... there must be some issue with the program... who knows? (or maybe i just get so excited when writing in my blog... ^^) But winterpostelein (purslane) is not like chicory--it's more like spinach but a bit more sour. i haven't tried it yet, but that's what i've read. and you can either eat it raw in a salad or cook it like spinach... i'll try it tonight!

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home