Thursday, March 01, 2007

Punk Rock Gift Exchange Questionnaire

1. How long have you been knitting/crocheting/spinning? I’ve been knitting for about one year (since Christmas 2005)

2. Do you consider yourself a beginner, novice or experienced yarn artist? Intermediate, so I guess that would be novice.

3. What fibers (materials) have you knit/crochet with? I’ve knit/crocheted with a lot of cotton, synthetic fibers, and wool/wool blends.

4. What are your favorite yarns? No particular favorites. As long as it’s soft and not fuzzy, I’m happy!

5. What fibers are you dying to try? I’m curious about the new yarns I’ve heard about made with soy, corn, and seaweed. Unfortunately, they’re not available here, as far as I know…

6. Do you prefer solid, self striping, or handpainted yarns? I like them all!

7. What fibers do you dislike? Fuzzy yarns (which keep getting caught on my needles) and scratchy yarns (which are just not nice to feel on your skin)

8. What are your favorite colors? Blues, greens, browns, blacks, greys… Occassionally deep rich reds and purples are nice as well.

9. What are your least favorite colors? For myself, pastels and most sorts of pink are definite turn-off, but I have a 3-year-old niece, so I could just use these colors to make something for her.

10. How did you learn to knit/crochet/spin? I learned to crochet from books, and I learned to knit from my boyfriend.

11. What projects are you currently working on? At the moment, I’m finishing up a vest for my Norwegian circular knitting course—just need to sew the border down. Then, I’m going to get a pair of socks going and start planning a smiley face shirt that I want to make.

12. How old is your oldest UFO? What is it? Will it ever be finished? My oldest UFO is the vest for my course, which I started at the end of January. I should finish it tonight (1 March 2007)!

13. What is the most heartbreaking project that you ever frogged? Well, I’ve had to rip out a few projects, but none that I would consider heartbreaking. I’m not sure…

14. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? I like them both, depending on what I’m knitting and where.

15. Do you own a swift and/or a winder? Yes and yes! ^^

16. Where do you keep your needles? At the moment, they’re in the envelope they came in and all the envelopes are in a slightly bigger plastic box…

17. Do you enjoy helpful hints about your knitting or does it just piss you off? Tact is everything. There are some people who I really appreciate helpful hints from, but other people just give they’re helpful hints in a I’m-so-much-more-experienced-than-you-so-you-should-heed-my-advice kind of tone, which I don’t appreciate. But in general, I’m happy to receive helpful hints.

18. What techniques are you still a virgin in (lace, cables, etc.) and are you interested in trying them? I still haven’t tried lace, entrelac, double-knitting, Tunisian/Afghan crochet, and a number of other things I'm sure there are that I've never even heard of. I’m not too interested in trying lace, at the moment anyway, but the others I’d love to try out sometime… I will be able to try out double-knitting soon as I received a lovely Winter Knit Kit with a pattern for a double-knit scarf, enough yarn to complete the pattern and needles.

19. What knitting magazines do you subscribe to? None. They just don’t have enough men’s designs for me to subscribe, unfortunately.

20. Are there any books, needles, yarn, patterns that you are dying to get your hands on? Well, all these yarns that are the hype in the US make me curious… Like Koigu, for instance. Most of them aren’t available here, yet, if they ever make it. But also the newer fibers like corn, soy, and seaweed. I’d love to get a Tunisian or Afghan crochet hook, but I might be able to get one here. As for books, have a look at my amazon.com wishlist! ^^

21. Do you enjoy knitting socks? How big are your feet? Yes! I just started making socks and they are fun! The ball of my foot is 10” (~25.4cm) and the length of my foot is 10.5” (~26.7cm).

22. Do you have a wish list? Yes, at amazon.com but under another email address: kankoku {at} hotmail {dot} com.

23. What are your non-knitting, crochet, spinning hobbies? Cooking, reading, watching TV/movies, learning foreign languages/about foreign cultures, traveling, cross-stitching, hanging out with friends, …

24. How do you feel about sports? Sports?

25. What is your favorite season? Least favorite season? Why? I guess my favorite season is fall/autumn and my least favorite is summer. I like cool weather and seeing all the leaves change colors. Summer is just too hot and humid for me, especially in Amsterdam where air-conditioning doesn’t seem to exist and in Georgia where air-conditioning doesn’t help. ^^

26. What is your favorite holiday? Favorite holiday? Hard to say. I guess now it would have to be Christmas as that is the only holiday I’m able to spend with my family.

27. Do you like handmade gifts? Yes!

28. Do you wear jewelry that isn't real? No, but not because they aren’t real… It’s because I don’t wear jewelry.

29. What are your favorite foods? Scents that you love? My favorite foods… Hmmm, I just love food in general… There isn’t much I don’t like, except for bitter things… I love the scent of sweet birch, which I came across in Charleston, South Carolina during Christmas 2005. The scent is reminiscent of Bengay…

30. What is your family situation? Do you live alone? I live alone in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and my boyfriend and family live in the US.

31. Do you have any pets? No pets, but my boyfriend (who lives in the US) has two cats.

32. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3's? I love Björk, the Hidden Cameras, and Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, and I like listening to music in general. I’m into all sorts of music, except probably the more experimental kind. My computer can play MP3s.

33. What are your favorite movies? TV shows? Actors? I love The Joy Luck Club. My favorite TV shows at the moment are Grey’s Anatomy, Monk, NCIS, Medium, and CSI: New York.

34. What do you collect? The Little Prince in different languages, cookbooks, language grammars, bills and coins from different countries.

35. What do you do in real life -- besides knit and blog? I am a researcher at the University of Amsterdam working on my Ph.D. I’m comparing how word order in English and Dutch develops over time.

36. When is your birthday? Is it a national holiday or just another day? August 24… Just another day.

37. Do you have any allergies, medical conditions or disorders that your pal should be aware of (ie. diabetes, food/pet allergies, ect.)? Nope.

38. Are there any scents, phobias, or sensory thing (ie, the way certain objects feel) that your pal should be aware of? Nope.

39. What is the most difficult thing that you have ever knit/crochet? I guess it would have to be the vest I’m working on now. I still have trouble keeping the tension in the two strands even while knitting.

40. What is your personal style? Is there a time period/fashion movement that you take your cues from? Not really… Just kind of whatever… I’m more of a T-shirt-and-jeans kind of person. Comfort is most important to me, even more so than how the ensemble looks. Maybe I’ll ask my friends to describe my style!

41. Anything else that you would like to say? Looking forward to getting to know you! Can’t wait!

1 Comments:

Blogger sunneshine said...

Love your comments on prge this morning - you "represented" well!! And now I watch when I say knitted vs knit....

I love the story of The Little Prince - I have a glass piece with a rose in the middle that has the entire story written in minute letters around the dome.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 1:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home