Sunday, March 04, 2007

My first (real) sock!

Okay, so it's been a while since I finished my first sock but better late than never, right? I did a short row toe-up sock using a generic pattern from the Tiptop Toes article on knitty with just k2p2 ribbing all the way up. I'm actually quite happy with the way it turned out. I used the Knit Picks Memories yarn (100% merino) I received from my previous secret pal, Genevieve. I love the color way, called Fly Fishing, a combination of green, blue, and brown. It made a kind of spiral on the way up. This sock was knit on Knit Picks (very pointy) metal dpns.

I was quite happy with the toe-up method I used. But there are other toe-up methods and of course all the permutations of the cuff-down method. Luckily, I don't feel obliged to knit a pair of socks that are exactly the same, so I won't be suffering from the second sock syndrome... at least, I think I won't....

Now I have two socks going--a cuff-downer with the same yarn as the above-mentioned sock with a lacy-ish pattern and a toe-upper with yarn I got from storm op zolder at the Zwolle Handwerkbeurs a few weekends ago. The new yarn is 100% wool and hand-dyed. The colorway is called regenstorm 'rainstorm' and is a lovely combination of various shades of blue and brown. Instead of a k2p2 rib, I'm trying to apply the Wavy pattern to the socks... Hope it works out!

2 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve said...

those look great! Yay. I love the colorway (erm. even though I chose it for you, yeah...) so much that I ordered some for me last week, too!

Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:51:00 PM  
Blogger sunneshine said...

That sock looks great - love the colors!! And all those swaps, love seeing the packages that good pals send! Looking forward to the next socks....

Monday, March 05, 2007 3:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home