Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Color-stranding

So, I had my hand at color-stranding. I finally made the Swell hat from Knitty.com with the lovely Russian yarn I received from my friend. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, even though I didn't knit it very efficiently. I couldn't get a hang of working with two strands of yarn in one hand, so I just kept dropping and picking up yarn... It wasn't so bad, but it did result in some twisting, which I don't really care about... I didn't find out about trapping the yarn, though, until I was halfway done, so on the bottom part, there are some rather long strands... But, as they say, you live, you learn.

My second attempt at color-stranding was on another hat from Knitty.com: Center Square. I made this for a friend of mine... I actually knit her a hat last year around this time (i.e., when I first started knitting), and it ended up being too big for my head (which is 1.5" bigger than hers). I showed it to her and asked her what she wanted me to do with it. She could keep it as a sofa cozy or I could rip it out and make something new... She chose for the latter... ^^ For this one, I tried a different method. Instead of dropping and picking up the yarn, I knit one continental (in my left hand) and one english (in my right hand). It was much better than my previous attempt, but I had a definite gauge difference (I'm normally a continental knitter--that's how I learned, so my english knitting is very shaky). This resulted in kind of bumpy texture when the hat isn't being worn... Wearing it, though, sort of irons out these bumps.

Finally, I had my first session (but the second session for the course) of the Norwegian circular knitting course. I apparently learned everything that was taught in the first and second sessions. And I learned another method for color-stranding, which I like the most. I found out why I wasn't able to hold both strands in one hand (had to do with the way I wrapped the yarn around my finger) and how to trap the yarn without twisting the yarn. This way, I can just stick to continental knitting, so the gauge is a little more consistent, and it's much faster for me. Now, I just need to figure out how to keep the tension in the yarn and how to keep the strands of yarn from coming together! ^^ It's a nice course, and I'll be making a (very colorful) vest for a good friend of mine who is due in February. She happens to be the one who brought me the Russian yarn used for Swell above! Funny, that!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nynke said...

Cool hats! :)
En nog maar twee nachtjes slapen tot ik mijn sjaal krijg! Niet vergeten, he?

Groetjes, Nynke

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm knitting the last two weeks just in the way suggested in the Nordic knitting course and I am so satisfied on how my knitting has improved! (I know I sound just like a cheap advertisement for washing machines now... Yegh) See you coming saturday!

Thursday, February 01, 2007 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger gearncniht said...

yes, the method we learned in the norwegian knitting course is great! i still need to work on keeping the tension of the two strands even, though... one always stays nice and tight and the other not... practice, practice, practice, eh? but your vest is coming along nicely! i can't wait to see the edging!

Sunday, February 04, 2007 10:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home