Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Maren!

Okay, it's been a loooong time since I posted. My apologies. But as you know, sometimes, life just happens. And the end of the year tends to be a very busy time for almost everyone. Just two more days and I'm heading back to the US to spend the holidays at home. I can't wait!

Today is the birthday of a good friend of mine (hence the birthday greeting. She is a lover of tea (specifically Ostfriesentee), so I decided to knit up a tea cozy for her. I used the Kureyon Kozy pattern from knitty.com, and I absolutely love the pattern! I used one 50 g ball of Rowan's RY Classic Cashsoft DK weight yarn (a 57% extra fine merino, 33% microfibre, 10% cashmere blend in a soft turqoise color--it's so soft!) for the tea cozy itself and leftover yarn from Fulya's gloves, Lana Grossa's Superlana 100% Virgin Merino Wool, superwash, in purple.

I love the way the bottom pieces turned out--and it is only created by increasing every other row, but the resulting pattern seems very complicated. It's quite an easy pattern. The most difficult part is starting the circles for the bottom because you knit from the inside out. You start with only eight stitches on a number of dpns, which, because there are so few stitches, wanna go every whicha way. I found that starting with just three dpns until everything became more stable helped tremendously! For this pattern, you knit two circles so that the tabletop is extra-protected from the heat of the tea pot. Because of this, however, you have the option of making a little pocket in the bottom, which I did. Why would you need a pocket on the bottom of tea cozy, you may ask? You can insert a satchel of spices so that the tea will heat them up, releasing their scents. Cool, uh? ^^

When I finished everything, I decided I would put it around an empty jar to give it its shape. I tried putting it around my teapot, but mine is too high. This cozy is apparently meant for the short and stout teapots. ^^ I gave it to Maren at her birthday dinner, and she was quite excited by it, immediately jumping up to get her teapot to try it out. Yeah! Now I think I'll knit ones for my teapots! ^^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home