Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Travel knits

In June, I'll be travelling to Turkey for the first time to visit my good friend Fulya (for whom, as you might remember, I knitted a pair of gloves last summer/fall). We'll spend about a week in Istanbul and a week in Ankara (where Fulya lives). I can't wait!

Of course, I'm faced with the difficult decision of what projects to take along to knit. Something not too bulky I can easily take out and work on in the plane and while waiting in airports, but enough of a project so that I don't run out (i.e., finish) while I'm there. I think my best bet will be the swatches for the Master Knitting Program. I have to do quite a few plus a project, and I need to practice the different techniques to get them just right. They are definitely small enough to carry around and enough to last... I hope! That should keep me for two weeks, right? If by chance I do finish all the swatches and the project to my satisfaction while there (not likely), what do I do?

A very interesting fact that I learned while reading up on Ankara is that its old name was Angora, and it was well known for its goats and rabbits and of course, the wonderful yarn you can get from them! So, of course, I'll be loading up on yarn, yarn, yarn! Perhaps I'll even be able to find out about Turkish knitting, which I understand is a little different from the way we Westerners generally knit. So I'll also try to find some books on traditional Turkish knitting and patterns. Lots to look forward to! Sounds like great potential for a knitting holiday, eh? ^^

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Socks. Take socks. A ball of sock yarn plus dpns will take up hardly any extra room, but give you plenty of knitting if you run out of the swatches.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:19:00 PM  
Blogger sunneshine said...

I am with teaandcakes, take at least one pair of socks with your swatches!

I look forward to a lesson on turkish knitting when you return :)

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 3:43:00 PM  
Blogger H. Cardoso said...

Bring fistiklari! ;)

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great trip. Have fun! Maybe you should consider knitting SOCKS on your trip. If you work them on 2.0mm Brittany birch DPNs, you won't have trouble getting through airport security. Also, it might be interesting for you to knit a Turkish sock pattern (they are so colorful) and, of course, knit the sock from the toe up, with the Turkish cast on!

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

sounds awesome! and I second (fifth, whatever) the socks suggestion... perfect travel knitting.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home