Sunday, November 19, 2006

Breien in het Nederlands!

Yesterday was the big national Stitch 'n Bitch Day in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Though the website and general organization left a whole lot to be desired, I was quite happy with the workshops and lectures that I attended and was amazed at the assortment of yarns, books, and accessories available! I held myself back from buying too much stuff, but it was nice to look around and fondle all the luscious yarns! I only left with a book, two skeins of yarn for my secret pal, two Clover yarn guides for working with more than one yarn, and a mini skein of yarn with instructions for making a mini sock. Not too bad, eh? I rode down with two fellow SnB-Amsterdam members and rode back with one--it was a very gezellige train ride both ways(gezellig is a Dutch word that is pretty hard to translate... it expresses that something gives you a positive, warm, friendly, cozy feeling. it describes the atmosphere of where you are and/or the company you are in).

It was also interesting because a number of people recognized me from my blog! I didn't know that anyone read it besides the people who know me and are thus more or less forced to read it... ^^ It was nice to find this out, and I hope more people leave comments so we can get to know each other. Perhaps we can all meet up sometime!

On semi-related note, I also decided to register for the course on Norwegian circular knitting. Because of all these knitting courses in Dutch, I decided I should brush up on my Dutch knitting terminology. (Quick note: the language spoken in the Netherlands is Dutch. For some reason, many North Americans seem to think that the people here are Danes and speak Danish. The Danes live in Denmark, the Dutch in the Netherlands.) So, I will post a series of mini Dutch lessons on my blog! Of course, I don't want to just throw the words out at you. I think it is important to learn a bit about how the language works. So, the format of the mini-lessons will be a load of knitting terms followed by more mini-lessons on various aspects of the grammar. If you have any questions about the words or grammar or if something is not clear or if you want to know more, feel free to leave a comment or email me (look at the sidebar). (A small note for the Dutch readers of this blog--Nederlanders, corrigeer me als ik iets fouts schrijf of als ik iets vergeet, alstublieft!)

Be on the lookout for the first mini-lesson:
Breien in het Nederlands: Zelfstandige naamwoorden over breien
Knitting in Dutch: Knitting nouns

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We both were there yesterday, but we didn't meet. It was much too crowded in the Van Nelle Fabriek, so I did not spot a lot of the bloggers I allways visit when surfing the net. You (and your blog) being one of them. Hope to meet you in the Norwegian knitting course (thanks for mentioning it on your blog!)

Sunday, November 19, 2006 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger - said...

Hi Robert,I was very pleased to meet you yesterday being 1 of the non-commenting readers of you blog (waves). Great to watch a man fondle my yarns for once ;-)

Monday, November 20, 2006 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Klozter said...

Hey Robert!

I'm glad to read about The Day, I can't wait to hear all about it tonight! I didn't even buy any yarn in Finland but I did get a book (heehee). Looking forward to your vocab lessons.

Monday, November 20, 2006 10:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to read you had a nice time! It sounds fun and I am looking forward to the Dutch vocab lessons. ~SP9~

Monday, November 20, 2006 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger gearncniht said...

Jammer dat we elkaar niet hebben gezien, froukje. Maar hopelijk gaat de cursus Noors rondbreien door. Dan ontmoeten we elkaar! ^^ Maar helaas pas bij de tweede les... :-(
Ja, yvonne, het was heel leuk om je te ontmoeten. En je wol was echt geweldig, al die kleuren. Als ik ooit een grote deel van mijn stash opbrei wil ik graag wol van je kopen!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home